Charlie identifies with this rural area, as he grew up on a farm in southwestern Virginia and began playing the organ at age 12. His unique and extensive musical background includes many milestones:
- B.A. (With Honors) and M.A. degrees in music from Radford University.
- During and after college, he served as organist in various churches in Virginia.
- Served 17 years at First Methodist Church of Brevard as Director of Music/Organist.
- Completed the Doctor of Musical Arts Degree at the University of Kentucky.
- Served 17 years at Brevard-Davidson River Presbyterian as Minister of Music and Organist.
Charlie retired with fanfare from Brevard-Davidson River Presbyterian in July of 2018, but his love of music and his Christian devotion have led him to fill in occasionally at local churches, including here at Lake Toxaway since the sad loss of our beloved Ruth Cech in January.
Charlie’s devotion and humility are reflected in his statement on retirement that, "I've been really blessed and fortunate in my career and in all the experiences I've had, which have been much beyond what I dreamed of growing up."
It is our sincere pleasure to welcome Charlie Steele to Lake Toxaway United Methodist Church, as well as his wife, Patti, who is also a talented musician. Charlie and Patti love to garden in their free time.